When you are charged with any crime, the consequences can be serious. If ever in this situation, consulting a criminal lawyer should be your first course of action.
There are some factors that you need to take into consideration when choosing the right attorney for you. It is important that the lawyer you choose is licensed to practice in your state, has the qualities you are looking for, and will give your case the attention you are looking for. The following are the top six factors to consider:
• Licensed in your State: An attorney must be licensed to practice in your state in order to represent you. It’s not enough that he or she practiced in a different state.
• Specialty: Though many criminal defense attorneys take on routine defense cases, some will often specialize in a specific area of criminal defense. These specialties may include, driving under the influence, theft, domestic crimes, violent crimes and technical crimes among others. It may be helpful to find an attorney with a specialty associated with the case, as this can often times mean more experience in that area of criminal defense.
• Personal Qualities: The assets you seek in a criminal defense lawyer are specific to you, so it is up to you to decide what type of individual you feel most comfortable having as representation.
• Reputation: In some cases, it can be important to consider specific attorney’s standing. Some lawyers are known for taking on difficult, complex and high-profile cases. You can discovery more about a lawyer’s standing by researching reviews, testimonials and publications.
• Cost: Because of the cost of private defense varies, it is best to have an understanding of what will affect that number. Most attorneys charge based on a variety of factors including their own level of experience, the nature of the case, complexity of the case, the jurisdiction in which the charges were originated, the duration of the case and whether or not an expert witness or consultant is needed.
• Public Defender or Private Attorney: If qualified, the charged person can be granted a court appointed lawyer or public defender. Though public defenders will often have more experience with a variety of cases, they are unlike to be more effective that a private attorney who specializes in a specific area of criminal law.
At the Law Office of Luis F. Vega, we have the qualifications you want in a criminal attorney. Mr. Vega handles a broad spectrum of misdemeanor and felony offenses. Like for example, DUI, Traffic Crimes, Probation Violation, Theft Crimes, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery, Sexual Battery/Rape, Murder, Manslaughter and White Collar crimes, among others.
If you are in need of a criminal attorney, give us a call at the Law Office of Luis F. Vega 407-837-4029 for a free, confidential consultation. We represent clients across Central Florida.